Career Progression

We’re dedicated to helping our people follow their ambitions and move their careers forward with us, that’s why development is at the heart of everything we do. We have a wealth of opportunities for veterinary professionals to pursue their professional interests, develop their clinical and business skills, and take their careers in whichever direction they choose.

You’ll receive regular performance reviews and catch-ups with your manager and receive support as you make plans for your professional development. All of our clinical colleagues have a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) package, these packages vary from role to role, but are a mark of our support in continuing to develop our people.

As an example, our vets receive a CPD package of up to £1,500 plus three days CPD leave, which can be put towards external training in a wide range of areas. Certificate sponsorship is also available, allowing you to pursue a specific area of veterinary care and further your expertise.

Relocation Packages

We’ve put together a really attractive relocation package to support you as you start your career in the UK. We can look at flights, your accommodation and also a vehicle. We have a dedicated teams that are always on-hand to support you as you make arrangements to come to the UK and also once you’re here and settled. They’re role is to help you relocate and settle in as smoothly and quickly as possible.

As an accredited A-rated sponsor, we are in a great position to fully support your move to the UK. We can issue a Certificate of Sponsorship for a Skilled Worker Visa to Veterinary Surgeons.

Salary and benefits:

We’re able to offer you an excellent package and benefits, with elements that are rare in the UK and that is designed to ensure you have a good work-life balance as well as a career that’s going places. The package includes:

  • Competitive salary, including London weighting
  • Four-day week (in select regions) – rare in corporate vet industry
  • Access to integrated systems and network of referral centres
  • Generous weekend package (one half-weekend in three, or one full weekend in six)
  • £1,500 CPD allowance with three days’ CPD leave
  • VDS, RCVS, BVA fees paid
  • Additional benefits, including 100% attendance scheme and ‘peternity’ leave


Our objective is to deliver exceptional care to our pets and their owners and as a vet with us, you’ll be at the heart of delivering this playing an integral part in everything we do. From routine health checks to advanced surgeries, you’ll work directly with clients and their pets to offer care that’s bespoke to them with the support of your clinic colleagues.

We have many different vet roles available, so there’s something for everyone.

Branch partner looking to the side

Veterinary Surgeons

Our Vets provide essential support to Lead Vets or Branch Partners in delivering care to clients and their pets. This includes covering days off, holidays and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) days, either at one practice or several practices in a local area as a Mobile Veterinary Surgeon.

Vet checking dog's heart with stethoscope

Lead Veterinary Surgeons

Our Lead Vets are responsible for leading the practice and its staff in providing the very best care to clients and pets. You’ll also have an active interest in the running of the practice and be rewarded for its success.

Night Veterinary Surgeons

Our Night Vets help deliver out-of-hours care at one of our 24-hour emergency centres, providing pets with life-saving treatment and carefully monitoring them whenever they need it.

Vet kneeling on floor petting two dogs

Branch Partners

As an experienced Veterinary Surgeon, you’ll also have the option of buying into an existing Medivet practice and becoming a Branch Partner. This allows you to part-own a practice and take responsibility for the day-to-day running of the business while continuing to deliver exceptional pet care.

What do I need to work in the UK?

The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) are the governing body for all vets in the UK and RCVS membership is a requirement for all practicing vets in the UK. Membership is dependant on the RCVS recognising your veterinary degree. As a vet who is qualified (or who will be qualifying outside the UK), this will need to be checked. If your degree is from a European veterinary school, then your university will need to be EAEVE (European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education) accredited or approved at the time of your graduation. If your degree is not currently recognised, then you will most likely need to sit the Royal College Statutory Membership Examination.

Please follow the link to the RCVS website for further information on the degrees recognised from around the world as well as on the Membership Examination should you require it

If you’re not from an English-speaking country or your course was not in English, you will need to take a test to show you have the necessary language skills. This can either be an IELTS test or the OET test. You will need to have passed a test before you can apply to the RCVS and it may also be needed for a visa application (see below). You should allow up to four weeks from booking the test to receiving your results. To reduce delays with your application, we advise taking the test as soon as you apply, just in case a retake is required.

Details of these requirements can be also found by following the link to the RCVS website

On the RCVS website you can also find details of any further documentation to support your application e.g. degree certificate and / or a letter of good standing from your governing body.  This depends on the country in which you graduate, and the time that has passed since your graduation.  If these documents are not in English, they will need to be translated.  We recommend that you gather the necessary paperwork and submit it as soon as possible to avoid delays because the RCVS usually takes 3 -4 weeks from receiving your documentation before you are given a registration interview. 

Since 1st of January 2021 any vet who wishes to work in the UK and who does not currently hold the right to work in the UK will need to apply for a skilled worker visa. As an A rated sponsor, Medivet can support you with this process. There’s also a ‘graduate route’ visa for non-UK citizens who graduate from a UK veterinary school whilst on a tier 4 visa.

In order to qualify for a skilled worker visa, you will need a certificate of sponsorship from your UK employer (in addition to a veterinary degree). . If the native language of your country of origin is not English, you will also need to pass either the IELTS or OET language test as above.

Any employer recruiting overseas vets requires a licence to sponsor.  Medivet has an A-rated licence and can issue a Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) for vets from outside the UK.  The COS can then be used to apply for the skilled worker visa.  Our support team will guide you through the process and we also contribute to the initial costs of getting a visa.  This process takes time and we advise all applicants to take a language test (if required) and prepare all the necessary documentation at the earliest opportunity.

Vet petting dog in consulting room

“My confidence has grown, and I feel that I’ve learned a lot due to having so many experienced colleagues to draw from”

Branch Partner

Make an enquiry

If you’d like to talk us about joining Medivet, please send us your details using this form.

  • Please complete all the fields below and we will get back to you shortly.

  • Please let us know what you would like to discuss?