Night Veterinary Surgeon
Medivet Skeldale Veterinary 24-hour Hospital in Thirsk is a thriving practice set in beautiful North Yorkshire. The practice has a history like no other; we are the original home of the one and only James Herriot (Alf White) and we pride ourselves on maintaining the historic client focused ethos.
The well-established team is led by our Branch Partner – Sarah who has celebrated her 10th year with the practice and in now looking to grow the team even further with a Night Veterinary Surgeon who is comfortable with both routine and emergency procedures.
The practice is a large purpose-built building in Thirsk (although the old surgery in town is worth a visit) and is an RCVS practice standard scheme accredited hospital and emergency service centre, as well as being an ISFM gold level accredited cat friendly practice.
This is a busy practice with a large client base where no two days are the same. The caseload varies from routine consultations to procedures, with emergency and critical care which supports surrounding practices with out of hours service.
The recently refurbished practice consists of 3 large consult rooms, a large operating theatre, dog and cat kennels, an imaging suite consisting of digital radiograph, ultrasound, and endoscopy, dental X ray, well-equipped prep area and a large waiting area. We have dedicated night and day teams which both consist of multiple certificate holders in various disciplines within both our vet and nursing teams.
This is a 1 week in 6 Night rotation.
- Tier 2 visa sponsorship for candidates outside of the UK
- Relocation package if relocating from outside the UK or more than 50 miles from your current UK address.
- CPD allowance £1500 & 3 days paid CPD leave per year (FTE)
- RCVS, VDS & BVA fees paid.
- Funded certificate opportunities
- 24-hour access to wellbeing and employee assistance program
- Leadership training
- Paid sabbatical after five years’ service
- Provide first class clinical care through consultations, procedures, and monitoring.
- Complete and competent clinical handover
- Provide exceptional client care giving clear updates on patients, resolving issues as they arise.
- Maximise capacity through the most effective utilisation of clinical skills.
- Perform a wide range of consults, surgical procedures, dental and x-rays.
- Ensure compliance with veterinary ethics and relevant statutes, policies & procedures.
- Maintain patients’ medical records and prepare accurate estimates for clients, ensuring payment and minimising debt.
Skills and experience
- Qualified MRCVS
- 2 years’ experience in a small animal practice
- Competent in clinical examination and surgery
- Competent and confident working sole charge, with the ability to make sound clinical judgement.
- The role may suit an ECC Certificate holder or someone who is working towards this – full funding will be given.
Medivet is a leading veterinary care provider, operating in the UK, Germany, Spain and France with more than 500 branches and 27 24-hour veterinary centres.
We’re proud to support a large, connected and growing community of colleagues who provide exceptional care, always there. That’s more than a strapline for us, we truly believe every interaction we have matters and that we can make a real difference.
We’re continuing our mission to deliver exceptional care, always there by creating great experiences for our patients, clients, and colleagues through a forward-thinking and caring environment where we make every experience better by using the very best equipment and treatment options available, including in-house MRI machines and state-of-the-art operating theatres.
We love working with talented, like-minded people who want to stand out in their field and whose compassion for animals always goes way beyond their job. We have exciting plans for the future so come and join us on our journey.