Medivet have an opportunity for a veterinary surgeon to join the friendly and experienced night team at our 24 hour hospital in Swanland, East Yorkshire.
Our veterinary surgeons are at the front line of delivering exceptional care and play an integral part of each one of our sites, from routine health checks to advanced surgeries you’ll work directly with patients and clients to offer care that’s bespoke to them and provide essential support to lead vets or branch partners.
In this role you will be responsible for dealing with all out-of-hours care within the hospital alongside a dedicated night nurse and a night patient care assistant so confidence and ability to work sole charge is imperative, however you will have on-call vets and nurses available should you require additional support. We can offer flexibility in shift pattern so let us know what works for you.
We’re always looking for people who aspire to stand out in their field and it’s this vision and enthusiasm that forms the foundation of how we work. Our mission to deliver progressive, around the clock care means our employees have the very best equipment and treatment options available.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for emergency and critical care and will thrive on working at gold standard in patient and client care. Confidence working sole-charge would be necessary.
This is a permanent role that can be taken on a full or part-time basis, let us know what shift pattern works for you.
Salary package of up to £70,000 PA (annualised dependent on shift pattern)
– Relocation package of up to £2000.
– £1500 CPD allowance and 3 days paid CPD leave per year.
– Payment of RCVS, VDS & BVA fees.
– Funded certificate opportunities.
– 24 hour access to wellbeing and employee assistance program.
– Leadership training.
– 5 weeks annual leave plus bank holidays.
– Pension scheme.
– Paid sabbatical after five years’ service.
– Annual pay reviews.
– Additional paid leave for exceptional attendance.
– Colleague purchase scheme.
– Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
– Hapibenefits – Discounts on shopping, entertainment and meals out.
We can also support certificates of sponsorship for a Tier 2 (General) Visa if you meet the criteria and are eligible to register as a veterinary surgeon with the RCVS upon arrival in the UK.
This is the perfect opportunity to take the next step in your career by joining the growing Medivet community, for more information on this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org
– Perform a wide range of surgical procedures.
– Conduct thorough pre-operative assessments and post-operative care to ensure patients receive the best possible care.
– Collaborate with the team to develop treatment plans and provide clients with care instructions.
– Utilise diagnostic laboratory, imaging and ultrasound testing where required.
– Prescribe medication.
– Promote preventative care by advocating and administering routine vaccinations and immunisations.
– Educate clients on positive lifestyle choices and preventative care for their pets.
– Provide guidance and mentorship to members of the support team.
– Ensure compliance with veterinary ethics and relevant statutes, policies & procedures.
– Maintain patients medical records.
Skills and experience
– Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine or equivalent.
– Registration with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) to practice in the UK.
– Understanding of relevant veterinary laws, regulations, and RCVS guidelines.
– Proficiency in diagnosing and treating a wide range of medical conditions in animals.
– Surgical skills for performing routine and complex procedures.
– Knowledge of anaesthesia protocols and pain management.
– Ability to provide compassionate care and ensure the well-being of animals.
– Knowledge of animal behaviour and communication.
– Strong diagnostic skills and experience in using diagnostic equipment such as X-rays, ultrasounds, and blood analyzers.
– Effective communication with colleagues and ability to explain medical conditions and treatment plans clearly to clients with empathy and compassion.
– Willingness to work collaboratively with other veterinary professionals, including veterinary nurses and support staff.
– Critical thinking skills to diagnose complex cases, make informed treatment decisions, handle emergency cases and provide critical care to animals.
– Adherence to high ethical standards in veterinary practice.
Medivet Swanland is situated in a rural, affluent part of East Yorkshire within beautiful countryside, with easy access to the North York Moors national park, East Yorkshire coastline & the cities of Kingston-Upon-Hull, Beverley, Lincoln, Leeds & York. The Swanland team consists of several vets lead by a clinical director alongside two head nurses, a team of RVN’s, student nurses, patient care assistants, client care assistants, kennel assistants and administrative staff. We also have a fully functioning night team staffed by experienced vets & RVNs to cover out of hours.
The hospital is well equipped both surgically and diagnostically with an in-house laboratory, digital x-ray, doppler ultrasound, a range of digital endoscopes, CT scanner, arthroscopy, orthopaedic theatre, separate wards (dog, cat, exotic & isolation) and a canine hydrotherapy pool alongside an underwater treadmill. The team has a strong focus on in-patient care and modern-day therapeutics, they engage in ward rounds and clinical case discussions as a group of vets to facilitate the continued progression and development of clinical standards.
A quote from Dr. Kiah Hann, a member of the vet team:
“At Medivet Swanland our team of vets has a wide variety of interest and areas of additional learning such as internal medicine, diagnostic imaging, surgery, oncology and exotics. I find this allows us to collaborate as a team to provide the very best care that we can for our patients and enables us to constantly evolve to keep up with the latest advancements in veterinary medicine. We are also supported by an excellent nursing team!”