Night Veterinary Surgeon
We are a long-established practice in the heart of the beautiful county town of Dorchester, within a stone’s throw of the famous Jurassic coast. We pride ourselves on providing excellent care to our patients from our smart, recently refurbished premises.
We are a 24-hour centre so have a Vet and Nurse on site, awake, looking after our patients 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and are the only practice in the area to offer this. We also run our own emergency services clinic with a dedicated night team for local practices’ out-of-hour cover. We have CT currently being installed and excellent diagnostic equipment enabling true hospital-level care.
We are currently seeking a Night Veterinary Surgeon to join our amazing team. This role provides a great work-life balance, working 7 nights on and have 14 nights off.
You will have plenty of time to spend with patients and their owners to ensure the best care is provided. We are the first practice in the area to be installing a CT scanner and are really excited about the development of this in the coming year. Excellent equipment options are on-site including laparoscopy, endoscopy (rigid and flexible), dental x-ray, ultrasound, full lab including iStat, plus hydrotherapy and physiotherapy. Certificate holder in imaging and cardiology and other vets studying for certificates in surgery, dentistry and ECC.
Salary and benefits:
- Tier 2 visa sponsorship for candidates outside of the UK.
- Relocation package.
- CPD allowance and 3 days paid CPD leave per year.
- Payment of RCVS, VDS & BVA fees.
- Funded certificate opportunities.
- 24 hour access to wellbeing and employee assistance program.
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Leadership training.
- Pension scheme.
- Paid sabbatical after five years’ service.
- Additional paid leave for exceptional attendance.
- Colleague purchase scheme.
- Hapibenefits – A range of discounts on shopping, entertainment and meals out.
- Perform a wide range of surgical procedures.
- Conduct thorough pre and post-operative assessments.
- Develop treatment plans and provide clients with care instructions.
- Utilise diagnostic laboratory, imaging and ultrasound testing.
- Prescribe medication.
- Promote preventative care by advocating and administering routine vaccinations and immunisations
- Educate clients on positive lifestyle choices for their pets.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to members of the support team.
- Compliance with veterinary ethics and relevant statutes, policies and procedures.
- Maintain patients’ medical records.
Your skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine (BVetMed) or equivalent.
- Registration with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS).
- Surgical skills for performing routine and complex procedures.
- Knowledge of anaesthesia protocols and pain management.
- Ability to provide compassionate care and ensure the well-being of animals.
- Strong diagnostic skills and experience in using diagnostic equipment such as X-rays, ultrasounds, and blood analysers.
- Ability to explain medical conditions and treatment plans clearly to clients with empathy and compassion.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with other veterinary professionals, including veterinary nurses and support staff.
- Critical thinking skills to diagnose complex cases, make informed treatment decisions, handle emergency cases and provide critical care to animals.
- Adherence to high ethical standards in veterinary practice.
Our lead vets are responsible for directing the practice and it’s staff in providing the very best care to clients and pets. You’ll also have an engaged interest in the running of the practice and be rewarded for it’s success. Branch Partnership opportunities within this practice are also available, you can own part of the clinic and have complete clinical freedom whilst receiving full support from the wider Medivet network.
We’re always looking for people who aspire to stand out in their field and it’s this vision and enthusiasm that forms the foundation of how we work. Our mission to deliver progressive, around the clock care means our employees have the very best equipment and treatment options available. We recognise the amazing work our people do and we strive to offer the best possible reward package in the veterinary sector.