Veterinary Surgeon – Somerton
Somerton is one of our newest clinics but is a well established and community focused clinic in Somerset. Close to Langport, Yeovil and Taunton you’re based in beautiful Somerset countryside with good road, rail and air links to the rest of the UK.
The team have served the community for many years and have a strong client base. The clinic is a beautiful building in the centre of Somerton with period features and character in every room! The clinic is well equipped with digital X-ray, ultrasound, inhouse laboratory machines, multiparameter anaesthetic monitor and many nursing aids.
We are currently seeking an assistant Veterinary Surgeon to join our close-knit team in Somerton.
The ideal candidate will have at least 2+ years’ experience (UK or equivalent) and be a confident all rounder. This role provides a great work life balance, and we will be open to negotiate full time or part time/flexi hours. 1 Saturday in the 3-morning shift.
Key benefits include:
- £1,500 CPD allowance with 3 days’ CPD leave; extensive in-house CPD training.
- VDS, RCVS and BVA fees paid.
- Certificates encouraged and funded.
- 5 weeks’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- Fantastic career progression and partnership opportunities.
- 20% staff discount for own pets
- Perform a wide range of surgical procedures.
- Conduct thorough pre and post-operative assessments.
- Develop treatment plans and provide clients with care instructions.
- Utilise diagnostic laboratory, imaging and ultrasound testing.
- Prescribe medication.
- Promote preventative care by advocating and administering routine vaccinations and immunisations
- Educate clients on positive lifestyle choices for their pets.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to members of the support team.
- Compliance with veterinary ethics and relevant statutes, policies and procedures.
- Maintain patients’ medical records.
Your skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine (BVetMed) or equivalent.
- Registration with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS).
- Surgical skills for performing routine and complex procedures.
- Knowledge of anaesthesia protocols and pain management.
- Ability to provide compassionate care and ensure the well-being of animals.
- Strong diagnostic skills and experience in using diagnostic equipment such as X-rays, ultrasounds, and blood analysers.
- Ability to explain medical conditions and treatment plans clearly to clients with empathy and compassion.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with other veterinary professionals, including veterinary nurses and support staff.
- Critical thinking skills to diagnose complex cases, make informed treatment decisions, handle emergency cases and provide critical care to animals.
- Adherence to high ethical standards in veterinary practice.
Medivet is a leading veterinary care provider, with practices across the UK including a number of 24-hour veterinary centres and referral centres. We also have a growing presence overseas with practices in France, Germany and Spain.
We’re proud to support a large, connected and growing community of colleagues who provide exceptional care that’s always there. That’s more than a strapline for us, we truly believe every interaction we have matters and that we can make a real difference. This is as true for our colleagues as it is for our patients and clients. Being part of Medivet means being part of a forward-thinking and caring environment with the very best equipment and treatment options available, and the very best treatment for you as a valued member of the team.
This is the home of talented people like you who want to stand out in their field and whose compassion for animals goes way beyond their job. Join us and be part of our exciting plans for the future.