Lead Veterinary Surgeon – Exeter
Here at Medivet Exeter Cranbrook, our aim is to deliver the most accessible, comprehensive, and high-quality veterinary care and provide a wide range of services and treatment options. Our friendly clinic has a supportive team that consists of three Vets and an RVN team of three alongside SVNs and Patient Care Assistants.
We benefit from the wealth of experience that our Lead Vet Chris brings, including certification in surgery and a specialism in exotics, cardiology, zoology and botany, supported by an outstanding team in well-established practice. We have Cardiac ultrasound, Dental x-rays, a K-laser, an aseptic theatre and prep room, endoscopes and full in-house lab for bloods, bicohemistry and urine, separate dog kennels, cattery and exotic ward and lots of exotic cases, including birds, primates, reptiles, snakes.
The opportunity here is for a Veterinary Surgeon with a passion for leaning new skills and working on a wide variety of cases to join our exciting practide!
Key benefits include:
- £1,500 CPD allowance with 3 days’ CPD leave; extensive in-house CPD training.
- VDS, RCVS and BVA fees paid.
- Certificates encouraged and funded.
- 5 weeks’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- Fantastic career progression and partnership opportunities.
- 20% staff discount for own pets
- Provide leadership and guidance to the veterinary team, fostering a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Ensure all team members provide quality and ethical care to all patients and clients.
- Conduct thorough examinations and diagnose medical conditions, formulating effective treatment plans.
- Perform a wide range of surgical procedures.
- Prescribe medication.
- Offer expert advice to pet owners, addressing their concerns and discussing treatment options.
- Ensure compliance with veterinary ethics and relevant statutes, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain patients medical records.
- Uphold compliance with all legal and ethical standards in veterinary medicine.
- Assist in recruiting and training new veterinary staff with the support of the relevant support centre teams.
- Manage the performance, budget and overall profitability of the practice with support from regional teams.
Your skills and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine (BVetMed) or equivalent.
- Registration with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS).
- Surgical skills for performing routine and complex procedures.
- Knowledge of anaesthesia protocols and pain management.
- Ability to provide compassionate care and ensure the well-being of animals.
- Strong diagnostic skills and experience in using diagnostic equipment such as X-rays, ultrasounds, and blood analysers.
- Ability to explain medical conditions and treatment plans clearly to clients with empathy and compassion.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with other veterinary professionals, including veterinary nurses and support staff.
- Critical thinking skills to diagnose complex cases, make informed treatment decisions, handle emergency cases and provide critical care to animals.
- Adherence to high ethical standards in veterinary practice.
Our lead vets are responsible for directing the practice and it’s staff in providing the very best care to clients and pets. You’ll also have an engaged interest in the running of the practice and be rewarded for it’s success. Branch Partnership opportunities within this practice are also available, you can own part of the clinic and have complete clinical freedom whilst receiving full support from the wider Medivet network.
We’re always looking for people who aspire to stand out in their field and it’s this vision and enthusiasm that forms the foundation of how we work. Our mission to deliver progressive, around the clock care means our employees have the very best equipment and treatment options available. We recognise the amazing work our people do and we strive to offer the best possible reward package in the veterinary sector.